Rev_rant

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Wed Nov 8 21:55:45 EST 2006

Here is another newbie opinion:

Rather than comparing Rev to some ideal perfect dev solution (by the
way, what is the name of that?), to me, the only pragmatic view is
comparing it to other available options.

I have worked with (mostly past versions of) Flash, RealBasic, Xcode,
Director, Filemaker, PHP and found them all to be buggy and/or kludgy
development environments in many ways. Some of these are put out by
huge multibillion dollar companies that would theoretically have
sufficient resources to eliminate bugs and make the development
environment elegant and easy.

So why haven't they?

Ever tried to hook Flash up to a database? Hope you have an unlimited
painkiller prescription.  Ever tried to make Director QT playback and
rollovers not sluggish on OS X? Ever tried to connect PHP with AJAX
libraries to do things (like drag 'n' drop- that Rev will do in a
single line of code). Ever tried to compile Windows XP executables
with Xcode? ;-)

It's a jungle out there folks, let's face it. RR has and is
continuing to do an incredible and often thankless job providing
developers with a tool that, albeit far from perfect, gets the job
done better (for many projects) than other options from multibillion
dollar companies with hundreds of programmers, QC staff (what do they
do all day?), and tech support (good luck ever getting a decent
answer- or an answer at all).

RR rates at the top in my opinion in terms of a workable solution,
and even higher because of the tireless job so many of the expert
developers do supporting people on this list and with their many
freely downloadable example stacks to help us newbies find the trail.

So here's a newbie saying a big hooray and smilie for RR, Heather,
and all the great people on this list.

H O O R A Y !!!

: )