Great things about Rev

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 11:22:02 EST 2006

On 11/8/06 6:35 AM, "Kay C Lan" <lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/8/06, Bernard Devlin <revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com> wrote:
>> I was recently doing some Applescript/Filemaker
>> integration for a client.  I'd never touched either before, and I was
>> quite shocked at the lack of documentation,...
>
> Ughh tell me about it. Finally got an AppleScript to work that's been
> so close, but not quite right. Lots of scripts downloaded from
> scriptbuilders.net because the docs I have just don't hack it, I
> needed real life scripts to plagiarise And to think this is from the
> people who bought us HyperCard. Makes you wonder how they can get it
> so wrong:-(

Yes, Applescript is a challenge, since there are 15 ways to write a useful
script that sound right, but don't work.  When you do get it right, it is
difficult to remember since it sounds just like the 15 other ways your
tried.  A very odd syntax most of the time.

Then there is the modification that looks right, but you actually need four
modifications to complete the job.  Very time consuming.  Not the great time
saver it was supposed to be.

Saying all that, I have used it many times to do things that could not be
done otherwise.  Glad it is there.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas