Rev_rant

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Nov 7 18:50:50 EST 2006

On 11/7/06 9:42 AM, "Luis" <luis at anachreon.co.uk> wrote:

> If I perceive a failing in an environment, I will state it, whether or
> not I decide to utilise that environment in my projects.

Understood. But I'd only suggest three things here: (1) that your comments
are framed in a constructive way, and (2) that you wait a bit after you have
come to your conclusion to validate it before you post to the list, and (3)
that you post it as a question to the list looking for confirmation of your
conclusion (or alternatively, correction to same), as opposed to a
observational statement.

Example:

"I understand that some people have not gotten quick responses to their
support questions. Is this true? And if so, does anyone know why?"

vs.

"People haven't gotten responses from tech support. This could be an
indicator that no one knows how to support the product."

See the difference?

> There will come a point, if that environment has not evolved into what I
> reckon it should (call this bug fixes, features, take your pick) I will
> drop it. This is my personal opinion, no better or worse than anyone else's.

Sure, and I think we all do that - use a program until it doesn't fit what
we need, then move on.

> The fact that others have become more vocal is perhaps an indicator of
> frustration, realising they are not alone, want to inject some life back
> into their favourite dev environment, whatever.

Or, more likely, it could be that they thought you were premature in your
judgments and wanted to make it clear. If someone says something that
offends my friend and I jump to their defense, it is not because I silently
agree with the offender and just want to get some conversation going...

;-)

> I wonder if the current issues with delayed bug fixes is indicating some
> sort of developer drop out, resulting in lower sales, therefore lower
> Rev resources.

Or, more likely, that there are just so many hours in the day and just so
many people to work on them.

I would suggest using Occam's razor on these kinds of speculations - "All
things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Cheers,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.