Linux installation

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Mon May 29 23:59:44 EDT 2006

Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:

I know almost nothing about the 'nixes, but it seems to me that a script
could calculate most of these using the globals that are automatically
loaded when Rev starts up. All (or many? Not sure) of the standards are
there and can be used in any script; i.e., $USR, $HOME, $PATH, etc.
Maybe these can be used to calculate the necessary paths?

For example: $USER/Desktop/
Or: $HOME/.MyApp/

Here are the globals given by Rev under Ubuntu (Gnome) Linux:

$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-WiBK3s8pAR,guid=23217b440bef325962f5e40a61735d00
$DESKTOP_SESSION		default
$DISPLAY			:0.0
$GDM_XSERVER_LOCATION		local
$GDMSESSION			default
$GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID	Default
$GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET		/tmp/keyring-hjWXCj/socket
$GTK_RC_FILES			/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/bob/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
$HOME				/home/bob
$LANG				en_AU.UTF-8
$LANGUAGE			en_AU:en_US:en_GB:en
$LOGNAME			bob
$PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
$PWD				/home/bob
$SESSION_MANAGER		local/bob-desktop:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4709
$SHELL				/bin/bash
$SHLVL				0
$SSH_AGENT_PID			4751
$SSH_AUTH_SOCK			/tmp/ssh-ThYkAa4709/agent.4709
$USER				bob
$USERNAME			bob

Obviously, $HOME, $USER and $USERNAME are useful since they give the
user's name. How much of the rest could be calculated under different
Linux distros is hard (for me) to say.
Rishi Viner wrote:

All Linux flavors should have su! They will also all have sudo if it is
installed (it is an application on its own). If sudo is not there it
would be unusual and certainly very easy for the user to install, as
long as they have the root password etc to set it up.
Yes, but in order to be able to automate sudo through Rev, you need to
able to find sudo in the file system in the first place. Also, to be
able to achieve certain things through sudo, the automation routine
would have to be in possession of the root password - hardly practical.

Is that right in your opinion, or have I missed the point here?

Bob