Copies of your app running on the local net

Paul Claude paulclaude at postino.it
Mon May 29 10:11:13 EDT 2006

Thanks Mark.

> reply 1) Yes, you can broadcast a UDP request and make all copies on
> the network send (part of) their serial number to compare them with
> the serial number of the newly opened copy of your application.

Did you know if exists some example stack around, to perform and answer to
an UDP request?

> reply 2) Yes, you can use USER$ on some platforms, but not all. You
> can also use MAC address, label of the hard disk, IP address and
> other characteristics. However, I will never buy software that
> requires me to provide information like this, because I know it will
> be a hassle to install the software on a new machine. Besides, there
> is a hack for each protection measure which makes it difficult to
> decide how much to invest in protection.

I thought that $USER should be valid because: 1) a license is valid, in
effect, only for one user (think about a corporate with hundred of stations
that buy a copy of your app). 2) For a single user with 2 computers, in most
of the cases he will have the same account user name on both, and you can
also add a button in your site to automatically furnish a new code to a
registered user. I don't think to invest very much in protection, but a
simple - universal - license code, will put too easily your app in the
pirates market.

Regards,

Paul Claude
ZiggySoft Software