Linux installation

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sun May 28 23:07:47 EDT 2006

OK Richard, I think I might have just about cracked it. If you navigate
to http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/sysinfo/ you can download
get_sys_info_linux.zip .

Inside, you will find a Linux executable to get system info as detailed
below. For some reason that I haven't worked out yet though, changing
the file name, up/downloading it over the Internet, or simply extracting
the program from the ZIP file nullifies its executable status. So when
you extract it, look at the file's properties (right click of the mouse)
and GIVE IT EXECUTABLE STATUS.

Here is my first (and possibly last) routine in RB for creating the module:

   Dim g As FolderItem
   Dim h As string
   Dim f As FolderItem
   Dim t as TextOutputStream

   f = GetFolderItem("sys_info.txt")
   t = f.CreateTextFile

   g=DesktopFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   //g=ApplicationsSupportFolder
   //h=g.AbsolutePath
   //t.Write h
   //t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   //g=FontsFolder
   //h=g.AbsolutePath
   //t.Write h
   //t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   g=PreferencesFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   //g=StartupItemsFolder
   //h=g.AbsolutePath
   //t.Write h
   //t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   g=SystemFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   g=TemporaryFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   g=TrashFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   //g=SpecialFolder
   //h=g.AbsolutePath
   //t.Write h
   //t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   t.close
   Quit

------------------
As you can see, the output is to the file "sys_info.txt". The items
commented out are the ones which did not work under Linux. So what we
have in "sys_info.txt" are the paths in the order above, ignoring the
commented ones. On my computer (Ubuntu), this gives:

/home/bob/Desktop/	(DesktopFolder)
/home/bob/		(PreferencesFolder)
/usr/			(SystemFolder)
/tmp/			(TemporaryFolder)
/home/bob/.Trash/	(TrashFolder)

------------------
In RR, you can now do a "shell and wait end" on the get_sys_info_linux
module.

One little detail that I might have to clear up eventually is that the
RB coding was put into the window's "Activate" handler, but I found that
if I made the window invisible, this handler would not be actioned. So I
kept it visible and reduced the window's dimensions to 1x1 pixels, but
it doesn't help very much because there must be a default minimum size
that is independent of what I specified in the program, and in fact you
can actually see a very quick flash of a window which is certainly
bigger than 1x1 pixels.

That's the best I can do at the moment, I'm afraid. Hope it helps.
Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Bob