Linux installation

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sat May 27 14:36:04 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

Presumably, the user knows where his desktop is, because if you ask this
question in Transcript (sorry, "Revolution") you won't get any kind of
answer: as you know, the function specialFolderPath for obtaining such
system information, that works on both Mac and Windows, has not been
implemented in Rev for Linux.

Richard:

Here is an interesting piece of information which may or may not have
some practical implications for you.

I have just investigated RealBasic's functions for obtaining fundamental
system information in Linux. I was using my free copy of RealBasic 2006
Release 2 for Linux on the Ubuntu pre-release "Dapper Drake" beta.

The following little routine correctly gave me the HD path to my desktop:

   Dim f As FolderItem
   f=DesktopFolder
   If f<>Nil then
     MsgBox f.AbsolutePath
   else
     MsgBox "The folderItem does not exist"
   end if

Other available functions are ApplicationsSupportFolder, FontsFolder,
PreferencesFolder, StartupItemsFolder, SystemFolder, TemporaryFolder,
TrashFolder, SpecialFolder.

I haven't tried these other functions yet.

Regards,
Bob