Players and Long Filenames

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Fri May 26 18:17:25 EDT 2006

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, Garrett Hylltun wrote:
>
>> Much appreciate all the information and efforts on this from everyone.
>>
>> It does explain the problems I've been having making an MP3 Player for
>> myself.
>>
>> I believe that this isn't just a dragData issue either, as I've had
>> problems with trying to load files into the "player" with long file
>> names on OS X.
>>
>> Well nix the MP3 player for me.
>
> Garrett:
>
> Maybe hope is not completely lost.  Using long file names with players has
> been an issue for some time.  If you look in the archives, there are some
> mentions of techniques for addressing the problems:

I appreciate this.  But this isn't a mission critical task.  It was just
  a whim.  I've been wanting a simple drag and drop MP3 player for when
I rip my cd's.  Just wanted to be able to drag the new mp3 and drop it
on a player and have it play so I could make sure the song was ripped
properly.

I have looked for a simple drag and drop mp3 player for OS X, but only
found one, but it runs from the dock and I didn't want a dock app.

I'd use iTunes, but iTunes is too much for a simple task of just playing
an mp3.  It's great for managing my iPod or managing playlists.  But ya
can't just drop a song and go without iTunes adding it to the library.

[snip]
> It's a great testament to the community where the contributions of various
> folks come together to create solutions.  We may not have a complete
> solution yet, but still, nice job guys. :-)

I agree.  :-)

-Garrett