newbie q about revolution

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Mon May 22 01:13:40 EDT 2006

Welcome to the list, John.

John R. Sowden wrote:

>Revolution seems to be my solution for writing business apps.  I am a business
>person, not a professional programmer, but I create all of my internal apps,
>currently in Foxpro/DOS.  A couple of questions:
>
>The description says the program creates "stand alone" executables.  To me
>this means no "run time", no "token compiling", but it may mean external
>libraries.  Is this true?

In general, no libraries (DLLs etc); just a single .exe file on Windows,
and similar experience on all other platforms. The standalone apps you
build will run at speeds very acceptable for commercial apps.

>How big is "Hello World", meaning how much baggage (code bloat) is included in
>the executable?

I just created a "hello world" app to see. But it did take about 3-4
minutes, because I messed around with the font settings rather than
using defaults.
- Windows = 1731K
- Mac OSX = 2185K
- Linux = 2360K

This is about the minimum app size. But as you add complexity and
features to your app you DON'T necessarily see a proportionate increase
in size, since text scripting doesn't take up much space. Most major app
size increases come from embedded media - images, movies, etc.

>Does revolution lend itself to creating  simple applications quickly?
>Example, I can create a simple name/address database application in
>Foxpro/DOS with menu, add, edit, search, select index, etc. in about 1 hour
>including creating the database structure.

In my opinion, you absolutely wouldn't have thought this kind of
development speed was possible.

>Is a database application, without multimedia features a good use of this
>product?

I'll let some of the Db geniuses on the list answer this. I think
basically Rev's suitability for this depends on the size of the DB.

>Are there any hidden problems that are not discussed in the web/faq, etc.,
>like "copy protection" methods that require dongles, keeping the licensed
>program on the computer/lan that the compiled application is running on, etc.

No. You build something with your licensed copy of Rev and it's your
product. If you want to require your customers to use a dongle, that's a
different issue.

>My operating system of choice is linux (currently Suse 9.3), not a windows os.
>Is this a good match, or is this a windows product that usually runs on Linux,
>with little support?

Linuxites, chime in here please! (I do Mac & Win mostly)

>The old adage, "if it looks to good to be true, it probably is" keeps ringing
>in my mind, but revolution could also be a minimally marketed diamond in the
>rough!

You can make up your own mind on this. But I can certainly say that it's
my favorite tool of all time, and I've been writing software
professionally since 1978. For me there's no going back.

>Thanks in advance,

Again, welcome John!
Phil Davis