sample rates in audio

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Wed May 17 02:18:15 EDT 2006

In my recent researches into wav and aiff formats I learnt that these
formats allow for pretty much any word length - but as you say, they
get stored as the next multiple of eight, padded with zeros. Maybe
there's some issue of A to D and D to A conversion or  latency that
makes it worthwhile to use 11 bits?

Given that each additional bit doubles the resolution, maybe there
are worthwhile trade-offs involved.

Best,

Mark