sample rates in audio

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Mon May 15 12:10:10 EDT 2006

Actually you could halve that sample rate to 11 K and still have good
intelligibility. Using the Nyquest theorem, the highest frequency you
can record at a given sample rate is approximately less than half its
sample rate. AM broadcast stations cut off at 5khz, which can be
handled easily by the 11k sample rate.

This is not 11 k bits per second, like in MP3s, but a full parallel
16 bits at 11k and without compression, will have no artifacts, just
bandwidth reduction - i.e. less high end.

sqb

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o