[OT] Routerless Network?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue May 9 19:59:19 EDT 2006

Scott Rossi wrote:

>Recently, David Vaughan wrote:
>

>>Take all the replies and wherever you see a negative comment ("need
>>crossover cable" which costs $millions", "can not network whatever")
>>cross it out.
>>

>Heh, thanks David.  No worries -- I'm not thrown by "negative" comments;
>I've learned to wait for a few responses from the list as there's a lot of
>knowledge/talent here.
>
>In fact, I found this document which made me pretty hopeful:
>http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/302#thread
>
>But it's not working for me.  I'm connecting a Mac laptop to a Win desktop,
>and while the Win box does indeed report an error if I assign the same IP
>address to each system, neither system seems able to "see" the other with
>unique IDs (Chris Bohnert mentioned pinging the Mac system from Windows to
>check the connection and all I get is a series of timeouts).

So, just to be clear, are you saying that if you use the same address,
the Win box reports an error, but if you use different addresses, no
connection ?  Something like ....

Win :  IP : 192.168.1.1
 netmask : 255.255.255.0
Mac : IP : 192.168.1.1
 netmask : 255.255.255.0

gives an error message, but

Win :  IP : 192.168.1.1
 netmask : 255.255.255.0
Mac : IP : 192.168.1.2
 netmask : 255.255.255.0

give nothing but timeouts ?

Between those two cases, are you changing the IP addr on the Mac or the PC ?

Double check that you didn't set the netmask to 255.255.255.255 on one
of the systems by mistake.

As well as ping, try doing an   "arp -a" to check if each can see the
other IP address.
Just for fun,  do a "tracert -d" from each to the other   (may need to
experiment with the option on the Mac, I can't remember which letter it
uses for "no dns" lookups).

And do an   "ipconfig" as well on the Win box .... send any (or
preferably all) of the output (direct to me is OK) from those and I'll
take a look to see if there's anything unusual.