copy file on Mac

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue May 9 09:43:43 EDT 2006

Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Sarah and Chipp,
>
> Please! Don't set the filetype to empty. This can cause unexpected
> results, such as files appearing at random locations in Finder
> windows or even off-screen on the desktop, particularly on older
> systems. Have mercy with the users of your software. Instead, set the
> filetype to "????????".

Is the Mac so brittle that merely copying a file from any file system
that doesn't support Mac metadata will cause these anomalies?

I've seen the Finder be a tad flaky now and then, but nothing quite as
extreme as moving files to inaccessible locations by simply not having a
creator code assigned to them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal