The end of OS9 development

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Mon May 8 15:53:04 EDT 2006

Mark,

yep its a problem for the education market. Since many schools just
cant afford to upgrade all their machines at once it means they have
a smaller selection of older (and sometimes outdated) content to use.
the OSX only programs then dont get bought sometimes unless they have
enough machines to warrant it and then its not running on all the
lab's computers, just the newer machines with OSX. This makes for a
very strange dynamics in the education market, very different from
other markets where as dan pointed out, once a feature/package
justifies the upgrade they just buy it. not so in the education
market in many places. Another up-and-coming market in education is
the home schooling market, and there you tend to find very wide range
of computer OSs, and in many cases very limited budgets and technical
knowledge for upgrading systems.

I realize this is not Rev's fault at all. The solution is not to
force the software market to be beholding to fix all this, but to be
aware of it and help out as much as possible where possible (since
education seems to be a second class citizen in many respects). The
real solution is to properly fund schools, but thats a huge and
tangled mess of a problem. I was just pointing out the situation in
K-12 schools is very different from much of the rest of the markets.
I am just hoping that rev 261 keeps running well for the upgrades in
OSX and Windoz for the next few years while i still need to create
OS9 computers.

Sorry education tends to get the dirt kicked on it a lot and i just
have to speak up when folks say the solution is for schools to just
upgrade.

Jeffrey Reynolds

On May 8, 2006, at 1:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com