The end of OS9 development

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Mon May 8 00:13:18 EDT 2006

Dan,

Its to tell K12 to bite the bullet if they had a bullet to bite. in
schools It is not a matter of justifying anything, its a matter of
the money just plain not being there to buy the software, or in many
cases, the hardware, to bump everything up to OSX. i could easily
justify that there be less than 3 yr old computers in the schools,
with updated systems and apps, and all teachers paid a fair wage, but
pigs will be flying from somewhere before this happens in our current
culture. in the schools tech money is going away quickly when things
get tight. teachers (and the few lab/tech folks left around) are
happy to just keep things going as is (that means a whole mix of
machines and operating systems). Getting the money and resources
together to migrate all the systems to osx just aint gonna happen in
most situations. what will happen in most cases is the current os9
machines will live on with os9 till they die (and its amazing to see
how long some macs can hang on even in the war zone of a classroom or
computer lab!). anything bought post osx will have osx on them, but
then again upgrading them all to the latest and greatest or even a
single standard OSX version wont usually happen. even in the labs
where they get a big hunk of money to get a whole lab of computers at
once, things start to age with OSs quickly and the money usually
isn't there a few years later to bump things up.

I ran what was considered a very well funded high school lab in
Monterey and we couldnt afford to bump all the computers up to the
latest osx systems and the older computers couldn't run osx, but i
needed them to have enough computers for a whole class at 1 student
per computer. It was more a game of just getting things as best i
could to run an optimal set of applications to cover as many bases as
possible w/in the budget.

All my education applications will have to be delivered with OS9 apps
for the next few years, its a fact i just cant get around. even the
distributors want it since its still, and for the near future, a good
chunk of their market they dont want to give up. its going to make
for some tricky fiddling with rev in the future i expect. i hope that
rev 261 can live on into the near future well enough to provide the
OSX, OS9 and Win apps i need before i am forced to start in 261 o
create the os9, then move up to a newer version to create OSX and
other newer OS apps then end with a dual development path (ugh!)...

I agree we need to move on to better systems and drop the old ones,
but it just means education gets the shaft yet again. And its a game
of economics again since the education is the poorest retail section
out there so of little concern to business, more the shame. It is,
unfortunately, a very vicious circle and it just flushes the
education market. Its funny since many of my students could have
utilized the power of a newer computer better than most of the
business folks i know!

I encourage all of you get out in your local school and talk to the
teachers and tech folks (if they have any) and see what its like and
how you might help out. You may be lucky and have a rich district or
one that has put technology on the front burner, but in the average
school its tight. They can also usually use your help. even if its
just volunteering to help man the lab at lunch or after school,
mentor a bright computer kid, even fix some broken or cranky
machines, do some seminars for teachers and technology. Believe me
you will get a new appreciation for the K-12 educational system and
how hard things can be stacked against it in many ways. But a small
amount of help and grease in the right places can make great things
happen. Its also greatly rewarding and amazing when you see some of
the things that the kids can create!

cheers,

Jeffrey Reynolds

On May 7, 2006, at 1:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com