Dumb question about external development

Gordon Tillman got at mindspring.com
Fri May 5 09:18:16 EDT 2006

Howdy JB,

On May 5, 2006, at 03:56, jbv wrote:

> I was wondering : with the new Intel Macs and all the
> universal binaries stuff, does it make any sense to
> imagine that external development for Rev could consist
> in 1 single source code & compilation for all platforms
> (at least Win & Mac) as long as it doesn't use any OS specific
> API ?

I do think this is possible, even if you do have to make OS specific
calls... in fact, it's on my "to do" list of things to try.

Right now, with my RR externals, I build the Mac side using XCode.  I
build the Win32 side using CodeWarrior (hosted on my Mac, but
compiling/linking for Windows).

I believe it is possible to compile for the Win32 platform from
inside XCode, if one configures it correctly.  XCode uses the gcc
compiler which can compile for the x86 platform.  So it would be a
matter of configuring the Win32 target to (1) compile for the x86
platform and (2) link with the win32 libraries.

The issue as I see it is learning the details of configuring XCode
properly to do this, and that is the thing I need to research better.

It would be absolutely grand to get this working, for then it would
be a snap to build externals for all supported platforms.

--gordy