CSV and REV?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon May 1 22:44:22 EDT 2006

Garrett Hylltun wrote:

> Alex Tweedly wrote:
>> My summary : If possible and practical, use TSV instead (tab separated
>> values).
>>
>> If it needs to be CVS, then find this thread in the archives. There's
>> code in there to handle the more common cases, and there was some
>> discussion on just how weird and varied the different versions of "csv"
>> can be. If you want to skip the discussion and go straight to the code -
>> see Richard Gaskin's posting in that thread on July 1st 2004
>
> Greetings Alex,
>
> Thanks for all the info.  Yes, I'd prefer to simply use TAB delimited
> files since it's much easier to deal with in Rev, but I will still need
> to implement the ability to open and save COMMA delimited files too.
>
> And it sounds like everything I need is in those threads, so thanks a
> bunch :-)

If you absolutely must support CSV, please consider joining a handful of
us curmudgeons on a mission to save the world from the unnecessary
horror that is CSV:  support for reads, but not for writes.

The last thing the world needs is yet another app keeping that
half-baked format alive. :)

It was a crappy idea when it was created (how did it even survive more
than two minutes in the first meeting where it was proposed?), and it
just gets more self-evidently crappy every year that passes with more
and more variant implementations polluting the datasphere.

I have an app that reads CSV but will export only in tab-delimited
format -- and it will use the most sensible form I've seen yet:
FileMaker Pro's, in which in-data returns are gracefully accommodated as
ASCII 11, and any quotes in the file are only part of the data, never a
delimiter.

Not long ago I had an opportunity to help contribute to a specification
for a format for affiliate data feeds, and at its heart it's the FMP tab
format.

So we have several million FMP users, plus a few thousand affiliate
marketers, and now your customers too.  :)

Just as polio was once an epidemic so broad it was considered absurd to
try to wipe it out, bit by bit we'll move forward toward a more sensible
  world where good people need no longer suffer from effects of CSV.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal