revPrintText

André.Bisseret Andre.Bisseret at inria.fr
Wed Mar 29 10:30:30 EST 2006

Hello Graham
Below, a handler I tried while I was struggling with printing, and that
worked well on Mac (but I got problems on Windows and I abandonned it).

on imprimer
   formatPourImprimer -- that is the handler that you have and I use to
format my texte
   set the printmargins to 72,50,50,72
   revShowPrintDialog true,true
put tab & "Page " & "<%pageNumber%>"  into footer        -- put "Page
n" at the bottom of each page
   revPrintText (the htmlText of fld "PourImprimer"),,footer
end imprimer

I just tried it again, and this works well on Mac (without any printing
substack). Only a special printing fld (where "formatPourImprimer"
installs the text to print) This printingfield stays directly in my
main stack.

Hope it help ;

André

Le Wednesday, 29 Mar 2006, à 15:47 Europe/Paris, Graham Samuel a écrit :

> In my continuing search for a multi-page printing solution, I was
> amazed to find the following in the Dictionary for RR 2.7.0:
>
>> revPrintText
>>
>> Syntax: revPrintText
>> textToPrint[,headerText[,footerText[,fieldTemplate]]]
>>
>> Library: Printing library
>>
>> See also:   answer printer command , print command , revPrintField
>> command , revShowPrintDialog command

>> revPrintText "Hello world"
>
> [and a lot more besides, including headers and footers..]
>
> What amazed me was that nobody had mentioned it before, while I was
> writing arcane enquiries to the list about counting lines, short final
> pages etc.
>
> Anyway, early tests suggest that it mostly works, although clearly it
> is a bit limited, and it's also a bit temperamental (e.g. if you feed
> it a parameter it doesn't like - even one which is legal according to
> the documentation - it just puts up the print dialog and then fails to
> print anything, while 'the result' stays empty; sometimes it seems to
> refuse to print for no apparent reason, particularly if it is invoked
> twice in successive lines of script - a buffering problem?; and I have
> a feeling it likes to change the print margins without telling you
> about it), but I think it may well have solved a lot of problems that
> I was trying to solve in a very much more complicated way. I'm still
> testing. Much the same behaviour on the Mac so far, BTW.
>
> Has anyone else any experience of this command (well, I suppose
> strictly it's a handler in the printing library)?
>
> Graham

André Bisseret
Directeur de recherche émérite
Adresse : 140 rue E. Béthoux - 38220 Vizille
Tél. : 04 76 68 15 24
Courriel : Andre.Bisseret at inria.fr
            et : bisseret at andre-bisseret.com
site Multifiches