Text Processing

Dave Calkins 1 davecs1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 29 02:30:56 EST 2006

>> True, Rev "COULD" be a worthy contender for anything involving text
>> processing, but not until they add a few of the very basic text
>> editing
>> tools that end users need.

Richard, in reading my response, I realized, that my post could have
come off wrong. I in no way was trying to take a shot at you or your
post,; I probably just need to get a little more sleep.

> Those are indeed valuable, but in the generic sense they're not "text
> processing" features so much as for "word processing", the former being
> related to parsing, searching, and re-assembling text, with the latter
> related more to the formatting and presentation of text.

That's true, I read your statement and filtered it through my wants /
needs grid. I have been after these features since 1.1.1. My original
bugzilla enhancements disappeared long ago, and with Tuviah's 18 month
old response, I figured that these short coming would have been
addressed by now.

Right now, I have several of applications that I want to develop with
Rev that without these simple text word processing abilities are not
really doable. This is because my end user will not be able to modify
and format the text reports that are generated. How professional would
my program look to a client, when I ask them to make the final
revisions to the data in the word processor of their choice, just so
they can add and then format the elements that can not be anticipated /
programed into their final report.  I can just see telling the client,
"You want the header that you added centered, sure just tab and space
over until it looks kind of good.  What, you want to change the
report's font header size? Sure, just delete a few spaces to get it
centered again." Indent that paragraph, don't ask why the text is in
different fields."  ;o)  Humor Intended.

I tried to email Tuviah, to find out the status of these elements, but
the message was bounced back as undelivered. Is Tuviah still part of
the Rev team?

> But I share your enthusiasm for these, and look forward to reading what
> the folks at RunRev have to say on these....
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Managing Editor, revJournal

Dave Calkins