[OT] Platform-specific web page

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Mar 28 21:50:39 EST 2006

Phil Davis wrote:
> Hi Sarah,
>
> Off the top of my head I don't remember, but (if you're not already
> aware of it) here's a GREAT site for all kinds of HTML/JS/browser/etc info:
>
>    http://www.quirksmode.org/

That's an interesting site, thanks for the link. He has a good article
on web applications there -- "Web Applications, Promise or Hype?" --
which fits in with some of the things recently discussed on the list
here. A partial quote:

"In order to draw users towards Web applications, they must have clear,
easily explained advantages over desktop applications—and not all that
stuff about "vendor independence" and "standards support", either.
That's tech speak. Users don't care about it.

"I feel that a purely technical focus will lead to the slavish copying
of desktop application behavior to an alien environment where it'll lose
any usability comparision. That's the same error DHTML proponents made
years ago. A Web application should be a Web application, not a bad copy
of a desktop application."

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com