MonsterCommerce & Rev

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Tue Mar 28 13:24:31 EST 2006

I would never do business with Network Solutions.

<grumble>
Not long ago, they were the only Registrars, and they acted like it,
even after competition was allowed. They were very late in the game
to make it easier to get a domain name. In the late 90's it took a
flurry of emails, pointless munging of text and a couple of weeks to
get a new one, and there was no web interface.

in 1999, I finally found BuyDomains.com and moved all my domains and
my clients' domains there. Their control panel and other software
worked great and they didn't gouge -- NS charges $35/domain, BD
charges $16/year.

The final straw when I did use Network Solutions for a few clients -
was when they sent letters that looked like re-registering documents
for their <current> registrars, when only the fine print at the
bottom indicated that responding would SWITCH them to NS. These
letters were sent to the LEGAL owners of the domains (rock star
management companies) who didn't have a clue about anything and would
respond automatically, sending a check on its way. Meanwhile the
sysop/webmaster dude (me) gets no notification this goes on until
it's almost switched - or when the site goes down. This slimy trick
combined with no admin notification in this instance and ridiculous
prices put them off my radar for anything. I did notice that they
didn't seem to have ever done this again, so people must have
complained.

I just checked MonsterCommerce.com -- they promise a lot, but the
site is awfully slow.

And if <their> site is slow... imagine how fast your little hunk of
webspace will be through them. Whadya think they're going to oversell
the space?

It's always better to get one's own web hosting than through these packages.

</grumble>

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o