Rev Media and the product line gap

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 28 03:51:29 EST 2006

Judy Perry  wrote:

> Indeed, Dan & Dennis, isn't this one of THE primary differences between
> the way DOS was designed/improved and the Mac OS?
>
> I wish I could cite chapter and verse at this point, but, I'm brain-dead
> (okay -- I'll say it before any of you: more brain-dead than usual), and
> yet I could all but swear that I read somewhere that the Mac OS (and, all
> if not most successive GUIs by implication) were designed *specifically*
> to encourage mouse-based as opposed to type-based interaction styles.

Ideally they would do well with both.  One benefit of the keyboard over
the mouse is that the buttons don't move around. :)

A lot of it depends on the task.  If you're doing a lot of typing you
don't want to take your hands off the home row to go fiddle with a mouse.

Also, blind customers need keyboard access for all features (though
sadly I've had little luck getting my Rev-based apps to work with screen
reader software).

One thing I gotta say in favor of the Win HIG is how Microsoft
repeatedly stresses the importance of having all features accessible
from BOTH the keyboard and the mouse.  For all of Apple's push on
accessibility, it wasn't until Tiger that they made all controls
keyboard-accessible, and even then it's an option you need to find and
turn on.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal