Corrupted Stacks

Iden Rosenthal iden at idenrosenthal.com
Mon Mar 27 11:45:05 EST 2006


Actually they were made with 2.7 although 2.6.2 is installed on the  
machine I use also. But I definitely made them with 2.7. Thanks for  
the info about purging from memory. I still have no idea why it told  
me the stacks were corrupted. I'm almost positive it used the word  
corrupted. Definitely it said there is a problem opening the stacks  
and I should look for a  backup.

On Mar 27, 2006, at 12:17 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Iden Rosenthal wrote:
>> I just started using Dreamcard (how nice to be back with xtalk  
>> after  all these years) but after I did some work on some stacks I  
>> went back  to work on them again and it told me when I tried to  
>> open a substack  that the stack was corrupted. This was a shocker.
>
> Did it really say "corrupted"? Or did you assume it was corrupted  
> because of a "Do you want to purge, etc." message? If the latter,  
> see below. If it really said "corrupted", did you recently move to  
> version 2.7 from an older version of Dreamcard? There has been a  
> file format change, and if you save stacks in version 2.7, then the  
> older 2.6 can no longer read them. You'll need to open them in 2.7.
>
>> I don't really  trust Dreamcard when I try to save files over the  
>> older versions it  seems to work. But then if I try and open what  
>> I have saved it tell  me there is already something with that name  
>> open and do I want to  Purge or Save or some such nonsense. It  
>> really isn't very intuitive.  Applications should just destroy the  
>> files that you save over the  names of with a different version. I  
>> don't get why Dreamcard seems to  be a nudge about there having  
>> been a previous file that I thought I  had done away with but  
>> somehow I didn't. Fortunately I did have my  work saved elsewhere  
>> in a copy of a stack I had been working on that  was not corrupted  
>> but it wasn't because I tried to make a backup out  of it -- it  
>> was only because I am working on a large series of stacks  that  
>> are all copies of each other basically (differing only in their   
>> info content). I think I would have been quite upset if Dreamcard  
>> had  told me to look for a backup of my work (which it does when a  
>> stack  corrupted message appears) but it doesn't automatically  
>> create  backups and by chance I didn't have one. Is there some way  
>> I can  avoid this in future other than always having two or three  
>> backups  saved?
>
> This message is normal, and all your saves have been successful.  
> Revolution does save stacks like any other app.
>
> But Revolution cannot have two stacks open with the same name. If  
> you already have one of them open, it will ask you what to do with  
> the new one you are trying to open in its place. Should it purge  
> the old one from memory? Cancel trying to open the new one?  
> Generally the best thing is to tell it to purge the old one. The  
> old will be removed from memory and the new one will open.
>
> The reason Rev thinks your old stack is still open is because a  
> stack which is visually closed is not always removed from memory.  
> It remains hidden in the background. It cannot receive messages and  
> acts as though it does not exist, but it lurks there in case it is  
> needed again. That makes re-opening the stack very fast.
>
> You can choose to turn off this behavior in several ways. To make  
> all new stacks remove themselves from memory when you close them,  
> tick off the checkbox in Preferences, in the "Files & Memory" pane,  
> that says "destroystack property is set to true for new stacks."  
> That will cause all newly created stacks to be removed from memory  
> when you physically close them. To change your existing stacks,  
> open the stack's property inspector and check the "purge stack on  
> close" checkbox, which will do the same thing for that particular  
> stack. Or, if you want to handle your stacks on a case-by-case  
> basis, instead of closing the window with the close box, close it  
> from the File menu by choosing "Close and remove from memory."
>
> Any of these methods will cause the stack to really go away when  
> you say so. And when it is really gone, you won't get that message  
> asking what to do when you try to open another same-named stack.
>
> Even if you do see that message occasionally though (and we all  
> do,) it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with any of your  
> stacks. Revolution just wants to know which one it should keep open.
>
> -- 
> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com
> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>
>




More information about the Use-livecode mailing list