Avoiding line cut-off in a multipage printout

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Mon Mar 27 01:36:53 EST 2006

It gets worse! I see now that the script can't know the exact number
of lines that will be printed without clipping on a properly
formatted page under Windows! What I can't understand (as with other
aspects of printing) is why so few developers seem to care about
this. Not everybody reads stuff on the screen: for example teachers,
I find, want to carry bits of paper away with them (such as student
reports) even if the actual app is a highly interactive screen-based
thing.

It seems to me that in principle we can't know how much wiggle room
to leave, because we can't know how different the screen and printer
versions of Windows fonts might be. I haven't any real experience of
this, but I guess that for some unusual fonts they might be very
different indeed.  And I want my printing handler to be sufficiently
generalised to allow it to print a text in any available font, chosen
by the user and therefore not predictable by me. After all that's
what even the most elementary text editors do. Come to that, what
does the RR IDE do?

Is there nobody out there who has developed a rock-solid solution to
this?

Puzzled

Graham