Rev Media and the product line gap

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Sun Mar 26 22:05:34 EST 2006

Dan,

You being a writer, most likely never have your fingers far from the
keyboard.  It makes sense to me that you would operate in that way.

However, I being a very image oriented person, never have my fingers
far from the mouse, and dislike having to go to the keyboard for
anything I can point and click.  I rarely use cmd-key alternatives
except for the occasional qspazxcv --which are the basic common set
for all apps.  For instance, when I am copying and pasting between
two applications, I put one window on one screen and the other on the
second screen.  I then start clicking on the two windows to go
between them.  I often don't even use the copy/paste, but just drag
the selections between the windows.  I don't think of them as two
applications accessed from the intermediary of their Icons, but
rather as two windows of data that I am moving.  They don't have
names for me (like the Excel doc and the TextWrangler doc, or the Rev
doc and the Safari doc), they are the left side data window and the
right side data window.

I switch apps hundreds of times a day and usually have a dozen or
more open at a time, spread across two 19 inch monitors.  I usually
size my windows so that I can see pertinent bits of data from
partially hidden windows (that are updating in the background).  My
browser open windows are set as a cascade of multi tab windows.  One
window per subject, and tabs for different search result pages.  My
desk top really is a desk top!

To me the enforced backdrop is the same thing as a nag screen.  A
complete annoyance, and not to be expected in a product that one
charges for.  Leaving out a major feature, like making stand-alones,
built-in database access, I can understand.  Major advanced
capabilities that define a whole class of developers or project scope
and delivery.  Mandatory painting out my desktop, is like an insult
that I take personally.  I can't help it, that is just the feeling I
get from it.  It may be irrational, but should be taken note of,
because RunRev does not need to make a product that people do not
feel good about.

So count me in with Dr. Miller on this one.

Dennis