Distributor Agreements--suggestions please

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sat Mar 25 19:15:30 EST 2006

> I'm about to finish a huge (for me) project. I need to work
> out the percentages with my publisher before I hand over the
> keys to the car.
>
> What is a reasonable price sharing equation? Pertinent facts:
> 1. I wrote the program and took care of all the media involved.
> 2. I created the web site (and am mantaining it, I guess) 3.
> He will place the software on CD's both in the jacket of my
> book and as a standalone product.
>
> So basically, he will market the product and I will create/support it.
> Is a 50/50 split of gross usual?

Will they be selling to both resellers and end users? Exclusivity?
Territories? What is the total division of labor and responsibility? Ive
established distributor, publishing and republisher agreements for many
years now (see my company Proactive International -
http://www.proactive-intl.com) and there have been agreements that have been
right on the money, anywhere from getting 15-55%.

> Also, are there some ready-to use boiler plate agreements I could use?
> (note to rev: This would be a great resource, and you could
> put a reference to RunTime Revolution in it.)

There are agreements you can get in books but one size does not necessarily
fit all - it's a very, very different matter than a EULA, for example.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Worldwide Business Operations
Runtime Revolution, Ltd