Ftp and cross platform issues...

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Mar 24 03:50:41 EST 2006

Mark Wieder wrote:

>John-
>
>Thursday, March 23, 2006, 11:36:57 AM, you wrote:
>

>>My new question is what Firewall exception needs to be entered in
>>the built in WindowsXP Firewall software to make the FTP stack work,
>>without having to turn the built in Windows Firewall completly off?
>>

>Well, my opinion, take it or leave it, is that there's no excuse for
>having the builtin firewall turned on.

"No excuse" ?
What would you do with a laptop that sometimes gets used on public
networks (e.g. Internet cafes, public wifi nets, etc.)?

I keep Win-XP Firewall on most of the time, and disable it temporarily
when I have a problem and if it is safe to do so. If I have (e.g. Rev
FTP problems) while using an unsafe network, I find another way to do it.

(Plea - auto-updating stacks *should* provide a way to download the
update to somewhere local and up date from there, please. Not only does
it help with this problem, but also helps if you have multiple machines
and a slow network connection - e.g. when your DSL is down, and you are
using your fall-back dial-up connection).

>That's one of the first things
>I check for when I'm troubleshooting a system with network problems.
>If your computer is otherwise unprotected on a broadband connection
>then I think you're better off with a hardware solution - go spend a
>few bucks and get thee behind a router, then configure the firewall
>that's built into it.

I generally agree - but I do think there are some circumstances where a
built-in firewall is required.