FTP and cross platform issues...

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Mar 23 23:02:01 EST 2006

Mark-

Thursday, March 23, 2006, 12:58:29 AM, you wrote:

> Why would you want to use active FTP especially for testing
> purposes? IMHO passive FTP is simpler.

...because you have control over which ports are used and don't have
to worry about whether you've opened a range of ports in your
firewall. It gets worse if routers in between have to route packets
because then you have to open more ports all the way through. Much
easier just to deal with two ports, get that working, and then try
passive mode if you have to.

Also... I used to have a router that would die if someone from the
outside attempted a passive-mode ftp connection. It was configured
properly, it just couldn't do it. I checked the network traffic and
there was a response from my ftp server, but then the router had to be
physically rebooted before it would work again. PITA.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net