Terrible RunRev Bug? - Was Weirdness Passing Messages

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Mar 23 12:13:18 EST 2006

On 3/23/06 7:55 AM, "David Burgun" <dburgun at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a problem that first I thought was something that I was doing
> wrong but now I'm not sure and would like confirmation of how the
> Context mechanism works in RunRev.
>
> I have the following setup:
> 1  StackMain:Card1:ObjectA:mouseUp   - Calls Function
> StackUtil:PutMessage("MessageX")
> 2  StackUtil:PutMessage                             - Calls Handler
> StackMain:Card2:ObjectX:MessageX (via send)

I think this is the problem in a nutshell, David. I've used a number of
other xTalks, and most of them won't allow you to send or trigger messages
in cards other than the one that's currently displayed. They generally have
you lock the screen, go to the card in question, execute the handler, then
return to the card you started from, then unlock the screen.

The fact that Rev allows you to do this is quite honestly a surprise to me.
Personally, I'd recommend moving the function you want to call to something
more accessible, like a stack, library, or backscript.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com