Terrible RunRev Bug? - Was Weirdness Passing Messages

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Mar 23 08:55:49 EST 2006

Hi All,

I have a problem that first I thought was something that I was doing
wrong but now I'm not sure and would like confirmation of how the
Context mechanism works in RunRev.

I have the following setup:
1  StackMain:Card1:ObjectA:mouseUp   - Calls Function
StackUtil:PutMessage("MessageX")
2  StackUtil:PutMessage                             - Calls Handler
StackMain:Card2:ObjectX:MessageX (via send)
3  StackMain:Card2:ObjectX:MessageX - Put "MessageX" into me and then
Calls Function StackUtil:PutMessage("MessageY")
4  StackUtil:PutMessage                            - Calls Handler
StackMain:Card2:ObjectY:MessageY (via send)
5  StackMain:Card2:ObjectY:MessageY - Put "MessageY" into me

In this case the "put" statement at step 5 does NOT put "MessageY"
into  StackMain:Card2:ObjectY (the object is unchanged), but the
"put" at step 3 works ok.

If I change the code at Step 5 to read:
put "MessageY" into field "FieldY" of group "Y" of card 2 of stack "/
Documents/Test/StackMain.rev" (e.g. the hard coded name of the object).

or

local myData
put "MessageY" into myData
do "put myData into " & the long name of me

Then the put statement works ok.

This also works ok:
1  StackMain:Card2:ObjectX:mouseUp   - Calls Function
StackUtil:PutMessage("MessageY")
2  StackUtil:PutMessage                             - Calls Handler
StackMain:Card2:ObjectY:MessageY (via send)
3  StackMain:Card2:ObjectY:MessageY - Put "MessageY" into me

I have also tried the following with no luck:

set the text of me to "ObjectY"

What could be going wrong here?
Is it that I am mixing functions and handlers?
How can I test to see if the context is the problem?
I really need to refer to the object without hardcoding it's name
into the Script, I thought that was what "me" was for?????
Is this a bug? If so is there a workaround??
Can anyone shed some light on this? Any ideas on how to get this
working would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Smith (many thanks Mark) verified that he has the same problem
but is using the same platform, could someone try this on Windows or
Unix? This appears to happen on RunRev 2.6.6 and 2.7. This has made
be REALLY worried about the usage of "me" and in using RunRev in
general. I can't believe that something as fundamental as the usage
of "me" doesn't work 100% of the time. I don't have previous versions
of RunRev in order to check if it *ever* worked.

Thanks a lot
All the Best
Dave