HTML tags in XML

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Mar 21 11:12:11 EST 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 7:43 AM, Devin Asay wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Is it possible to store html styled text in an xml document and
> then successfully retrieve the text with html markup intact?
>
> <comments>
> Here are my comments.
> Some of the text is colored <font color="#FF0000">red</font> &
> </comments>
>
> Is there a way to do this? Will I have to resort to saving the
> RTFtext in the xml node or something like that?

Hi Devin,

You need to escape ", ', <, and < when entering data into an XML
node.  I can't remember if RevXML has any handlers for this or if you
just have to do it by hand.  For an example of the escape characters
just do a Google search for "xml escape characters".

You may want to check out Ken Ray's XML library.  I haven't used it
but browsing through the API, there is a stsXML_replaceEntities that
looks like it would do what you want.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - http://www.bluemangolearning.com