[OT] Spotlight and Tiger

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 16:24:05 EST 2006

Recommendation based only on my experience:

Set folders and drives to 'private' in Spotlight -- no indexing will occur
(esp large data file storage)

Use Path Finder by Cocoa Tech (I went back to ver 3.2.2 since 4.x was buggy
back in December when it was first released.. probably not buggy anymore)

Path Finder - The Find (cmd-F) in Path Finder is plenty fast enough for me,
and will search all selected drives, showing full path names!!! for all
hits.

Path Finder can be launched when needed, run at startup, and coexist with
the Apple Finder just fine.

Path Finder is much slower when moving and trashing lots of files.  I use
the Finder for disk cleanup.

I love some of the features of Path Finder, so I am biased, however, I use
both the Finder and PF all day long.

As always, your smileage may vary.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas