[Slightly OT] Amazon's New Storage Plan - Someone Do a Rev Interface?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Wed Mar 15 13:56:54 EST 2006

Mark,

I read the docs, there appear to be no magical/automated interface
for BT.

What appears to exist is that if you create a public object, which is
a resource that can be accessed by a URL without authentication, then
you can run your BT Tracker and use your resource with it. Meaning,
they don't really support a BitTorrent interface but since they have
a way to make the objects accessible without authentication, nothing
will stop you from using BT with it. It is the same as saying Amazon
S3 supports Runtime Revolution libURL, they don't, what they support
is a simple HTTP transport without authentication case you need. I
really thing that bittorrent piece was put there by some marketing guy.

Since S3 is a paid service and you end up paying for the data
transfer, it would be smart to use BitTorrent to lower your costs...
but also, if you set up a object that can be used with BT, your
object can also be retrieved by anyone that knows the URL, and
depending on what you're hosting, it just needs one post in a forum
to skyrocket your costs.

if we had HMAC/SHA1 routines, we could build a S3 library in 20
minutes, it's very easy.

Cheers
andre