Expanded DPI images for printing -Good News (news to me anyway)...

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Thu Mar 9 02:13:28 EST 2006

If this is in the docs, and I'm ignorant of this I apologize, but I'd
like to share my discovery.

Ever since I started working with x-talks 18 years ago, I wanted a
way to print 300 dpi images from a card. I got the impression from my
last year of experiments that it was not possible.

Today I was messing around with loading images on a card recently
with different file sources using the filename property. I noticed a
few old images that I loaded were much smaller in size than I
remember, and not only that, when printed, had the appropriate
detail. This is what I came up with:

When you are creating a graphic from photoshop, set the DPI to 300 or
whatever. Set the size to what size in inches,etc. you want on the
card. Save as a PICT  file!!

Setting the filename of an image object to a PICT file will force the
object to print the DPI indicated in the image file. The image on the
screen is dpi-scaled and is totally WYSIWYG.

In other words, Rev reads the DPI of the image from the file and
prints accordingly in the print region. This does not work with PNG,
Gif or jpg images, that show and print at screen resolution.

So has rev always worked this way, or is this new?
Weren't we encouraged to not use picts anymore?
And finally, are PC users able to create picts?
--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o