Best source for examples

Andy Calloway a.calloway at callowaygreen.com
Wed Mar 8 11:18:10 EST 2006

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for all the info, I've been going through the help files over the
past few days, but I think I need to put a few hours to one side to really
get to grips with it.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I imagine you have 2.7 so check out Help->Getting Started and Help-  >User
Guide.  Also check out the Rev scripting conferences at
<http://downloads.runrev.com/section/scriptingconferences.php>.

Having moved from PHP as a primary development language to Rev, I would
recommend the following:

1) Get really familiar with the Revolution message path.
Understanding the message path can bring you joy, not understanding the
message path will bring you pain ;-)  Check out Richard Gaskin's article on
it "Extending the Runtime Revolution Message Path" at
<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/
revolution_message_path.html>

2) Become familiar with chunk expressions and the Transcript array.
Transcript doesn't have objects and arrays like PHP but you will find that
you can often use Transcript "lists" where you used PHP arrays and
Transcript "arrays" where you used PHP objects.  You just need to get into
the Transcript mindset.  Open the User Guide from 2.7 and search for Array.
That should bring up some useful information.  The scripting conference has
a session on chunks.

3) Search for "start using" in Help->Dictionary.  This is basically what you
can use as a replacement for "require" and "include" in PHP if you have code
you want available everywhere in a project.

4) Unfortunately, Revolution doesn't have any application frameworks that
are publicly available at the moment.  This means everyone is kind of on
their own.  You have to create your own standard libraries, user data
storage routines (prefs and application state such as window positions,
etc.).  This isn't a show stopper but is a HUGE barrier to entry for new
developers IMO.  Look at creating your own libraries (see point 3) of common
routines.

Hopefully that will get you started.

--
Trevor DeVore