lockScreen Property Question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Mar 7 17:09:55 EST 2006

Reuben Rivera wrote:
> I've been working on a program that requires jumping from one stack to
> another.  I've tried to incorporate the lockScreen property to prevent
> redrawing of the screen to keep me from sea sick while looking at the
> screen and to speed up things. The problem I've run into is that
> regardless
> of where I put the the "lockScreen to true" command, I still can see
> the redraws
> from one stack to the other.  Does this property not work under certain
> situations?  I'm a previous hypercard user and I've never had an  issue
> with
> this before.  I've check the written manual and it seems like it  should
> work
> like it has with my previous experience with hypercard.  Any hints or
> insights?

Actually, it worked the same way in HyperCard too. The "lockscreen"
command should really have been named "lockwindow". Only the frontmost
stack is locked. If you open 2 stacks at once in HyperCard, lock the
screen, and then try to go to the second stack, you'll see the same
behavior. The OS has to redraw the window.

Unlike HC, there's a workaround in Revolution. Instead of "lockscreen",
use the "go stack <stackname> in window <windowname/ID>" variant. See
the "go" command in the docs; this command substitutes the contents of a
stack into the same window as the current stack, basically avoiding the
OS redraw.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com