OT: Win virtualization with Parallels?

Karen Hughes Karen at curlypaws.com
Sun Jun 25 13:29:07 EDT 2006

Phil,

I'd echo what Sarah said - it kind of depends what you want to use
Windows for.

Parallels is good for most things and runs pretty much any version of
Windows at close to native speed.  It has some issues with USB
support, but works for most things.  The sharing of files with the
Mac side is a little clunky, but does all that you are likely to need
(no drag and drop support - one of the few things I miss about
Virtual PC).

Boot Camp will only run XP SP2, and it must be a full version, not an
upgrade.

Parallels won't work for anything that needs 3D support, since the
graphic emulation is fairly basic - so games are definitely out.
This is where Boot Camp comes into its own, but you do have to reboot
your Mac in the process.  It does seem as if my MacBook Pro runs the
fans more under Boot Camp - I'm not sure if this is down to the
drivers or whether the processor is working harder.

I use Parallels with Windows XP Home and it works very well indeed
for the few things that I need from Windows.  At the price you can't
go far wrong - but Apple may be working along similar lines for the
next version of OS X (Leopard).  If you've ever used Virtual PC, the
two are very similar - except that Parallels is much, much faster.

Karen