U3 apps and rev

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 17:39:37 EDT 2006

Hi Jeffrey -

Jeffrey Reynolds wrote:

> Just saw the newsletter article on revolution and U3 apps. I am a bit
> confused about why you would need U3 compatibility with Rev since you
> can make standalones that do not require anything to be installed and
> run fine from a flash drive (i actually keep a couple of my rev cdrom
> multimedia apps on a flash drive to show off, easier than carting CDs
> in your pocket!). so im wondering what the U3 specifications are
> adding for rev.

I think it's more about what Rev can add to U3 (and therefore what Rev
developers can earn from selling their U3 apps). Rev is absolutely ideal
for creating U3 apps.

> is just adding a standard set of extra DLLs you might  want to have
> access to? they have a little start panel you can get  onto for the
> drive. something to just say you are U3 enabled? it  seems like having
> to jump through U3's hoops rather than much rev has  to do than it
> already does. Sorry i just smell more marketing here  than technology,
> but maybe im wrong and if so would be interested in  hearing other
> views. There is no mention of licensing fees (or  potential future
> ones) on their site for U3, but its not very  explicit content to make
> a firm decision on.

Is there something wrong with opening up new markets for Rev apps? I
*hope* it's about marketing! I mean, think about it... if we build
things for which there is no market, who have we benefitted? Unless I'm
using Rev for self-amusement only, I would have to say "no one".

> Also the article stated you would need an enterprise license to do
> U3. isnt this just another version of the XP engine? Shouldnt you be
> able to make standlanones with this engine like you can with a studio
> license like all the other current platforms (the article stated you
> required an enterprise license, but maybe thats only for the beta?)
>
> the thing that i would really love to see with rev is downsizing to
> the pocket PC market where i could really fun things to do with rev...

I would like that too... the more markets opened to Rev apps (and
therefore to me as developer), the better...

Thanks -
Phil Davis