teleprompter application- reverse text, smooth scrolling?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Jun 23 05:39:39 EDT 2006

Josh I sent you my little app by email offline. forgive my aweful
UI... I was just  beginning to refine it then we went in a different
direction....

I don't now anything about "mirror" but perhaps some of my handlers
may help.

The speed issue is (obviously) directly related to font size, which
then again is related to distance from speaker. My app assumes the
users is sitting in front of his PC, (designed for recording) so,
setting the font size to a large size and short line length
(shortline length is important for easy reading) I can get a speed
which works. Works in the sense that a speed can be set which is
faster than anyone could or  would want to read.

The problem comes if you are trying to  project the type  from a
distance, then you have to use a really big font and text-height, and
then the number of words-lines visible on screen drops dramatically,
and you really need to crank up the scroll speed.  I couldn't find
any way to get the thing to scroll fast enough-smoothly. A single
pixel increment sent on a 1 millisecond loop, I believe is the
smoothest you can get and the fastest you can get. Of course, you can
increase the scroll increment  unit in the script to 3-5 pixels, but
then the  text jitters vertically very badly.

If you have a solution I would  love to know what it is.

Sivakatirswami