Challenge...

Ton Kuypers tkuypers at dmp-int.com
Tue Jun 20 15:52:31 EDT 2006

Hi gang... I need some help...

A user selects a PDF file, I need to know what colors are in this PDF
file.
So far no good, I can read the data and filter out the unwanted lines.

But this becomes a problem when the PDF file is 50 Mb or bigger...

At this point I use:

         put "file:" & vPDFpath into vURL
         put url vURL into vColors1
         put url vURL into vColors2
         filter vColors1 with "*/Separation*"
         replace "#20" with space in vColors1
         filter vColors2 with "*/DeviceN*"
         replace "#20" with space in vColors2
         replace "]" with "" in vColors2
         put vColors1 & vColors2 into vColors

This way I get the lines containing the PDF colors, which I filter
and use.
On normal PDF's this happens on the fly, no delay at all...

But one of my clients now sent me a 200 Mb PDF... And you can guess
the problem: The file is loaded into memory twice, taking up more
then 400 Mb of memory, just to get 3 or 4 lines of data... It's
ssssllloooooowwwwwwwwww....

Any ideas on how to do this faster?

Warm regards,

Ton Kuypers