Problems building Mac OSX standalone (mostly resolved)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jun 5 14:19:03 EDT 2006

Jon Seymour wrote:
> Peter, thanks, you were right. I needed to add several files to the
> location you wrote about, and now things seem dandy!
>
> One final puzzler: my custom icon (.icns) file is placed in the package
> at contents/resources/revolution.icns. When I launch the app, my custom
> icon appears nicely in the Dock. But it is still not used for the
> desktop icon. How do I get that to happen?

This is an OS X glitch, which does not update the file correctly after
it has been created. My favorite method is to Get Info on your new app,
click on the icon in the little box, and hit the delete key. They forces
the Finder to update the file's appearance.

Another method is to zip the file, throw away the original, and then
unzip. The Finder will update the icon when the app is decompressed.

A third method is to issue an AppleScript command. The command is
"update" and you provide a file path.

I usually use method #1 which is by far the easiest.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com