More Imagedata Issues

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 27 13:59:12 EDT 2006

On 7/27/06 9:21 AM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Rob Cozens wrote:
>> Rev knows the paintCompression of image 3.  When it changes image
>> 3's text property based on the imageData why is it converted to png
>> format instead of, in this case, gif format?
>
> I can guess.
> Normally, a gif is limited to 256 colors.  An imageData can represent
> lots more.  So when an imageData is set, the engine creates a PNG for
> it.
>
> Some folks have noticed that the same PNG has a different imageData
> on different platforms.  I have noticed that removing the gamma from
> a PNG will change the imageData of an image object it is put into.
>
> So, if the fetched imageData is after some fiddling, does setting the
> imageData do some unfiddling to make the pixels?  Or is something set
> in the image so the image pixels equal the imageData pixels?
>
> Just wondering.

I know this discussion has gone on a while and I don't have any current
interest in the result, but couldn't someone just write the different data
formats to a file, then look at the hexDump (using BBEdit or other) and
compare them?  Even 'set the clipboarddata to the imageData' etc....

put the imageData of image orange into imgData
put url binary: jpg into picRaw
is imgData in picRaw
put offset(imData, picRaw) into firstHit

You know, stuff like that?

I don't have time to do any digging this week, but that might shed light on
what happens..when..if.. maybe..

Jim Ault
Las Vegas