"There Was a Problem Saving the Standalone Application"

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Jul 23 12:18:26 EDT 2006

On 7/23/06 3:18 AM, "Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Yes, I was referring to the trackpad. I know many people don't ever
> use the trackpad on Macs, but I use it all the time on my PC laptop,
> and I'm wondering if it isn't because of the lack of a right-mouse
> button. I considered purchasing an Intel Macbook, but realized I
> couldn't ever get past the lack of a right-mouse button and the lack
> of a delete key (which I use all the time...not backspace key...which
> I also use).

Well, I've had a G3 iBook for a long time now (I'm getting ready to buy an
Intel MacBook Pro soon), and I use the trackpad only when I'm not in a
desktop situation (like sitting at an airport, etc.). Not because of the
lack of a right mouse button, but because I prefer the control I get with a
mouse.

As to the delete key you can type FN-Backspace, which gives you the same
effect.

> Ctrl-click on a trackpad requires two fingers, one to press the
> control-key, the other to hold-down the mouseKey at the bottom of the
> trackpad, meanwhile the other hand works moving the cursor over the
> trackpad to choose the correct menu item. I suppose for young large
> hands, it would work just fine, but my fingers would get tired awful
> fast trying to contort regularly that way.

Well, one of the things I've learned to do is to use my left index finger to
hold down the control key while I push the button below the trackpad with my
left thumb. It's not a real stretch (as the laptop is small). This leaves my
right hand completely free to navigate the menu with the trackpad. Of course
it would be nicer if there was a right mouse button on the laptop itself,
and I don't know if it would be any worse with a larger 15" or 17" MacBook
Pro, but you get the idea...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/