DreamHost In-Depth (was Re: Dreamhost?)

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Tue Jul 18 11:37:17 EDT 2006

In all fairness,

I don't why you have so many troubles, but I've never had the
severity of these problems you report with Dreamhost.

I've used them exclusively for hosting since 2002, and used every
plan they have on over 15 sites and 10 clients. I could never detect
any difference in the quality of serving between the dedicated plan
at $200/mo and my Code monster @$20/mon. Both are/were extremely fast.

As far as upload speed, unless you have a T1 or Frame Relay, you're
never going to get more than 300k/second UPLOAD from a residence on
even cable!

You do know that DSL and cable internet are asymmetrical, right? Are
you not sure some of your problems might be your local ISP? DSL has a
max 1.2 megaBit/sec download speed and Cable is up to about 6
megaBits/2.

And the talk about CGIs last week got me feeling experimental - so I
got a Rev CGI working ("Hello World") in about 10 minutes...I thought
it was going to be hard or take a while...

http://barncard.com/cgi-bin/hello.cgi

-----script---

#!revolution

on startup
  put "Content-Type: text/plain" & cr & cr
  repeat with n = 1 to 17
           put n && "Hello World!" & return
   end repeat
end startup

-----script---

  If you need help... I've got a nice package of docs and the right
engine for you to get it running. You don't need a variety of
engines, just the right one.

I don't know if you'd be better off 'somewhere else'. It's a jungle
out there among providers. I know, I've tried many of them. I swear,
these guys just get it, provide the latest Open Source tools, their
control panel rocks. and they're funny.

Your problems with support are strange - have you used your phone call yet?

I've always had great email responses within 12 or 13 hours, and they
are very helpful... so something's not right with your account. You
should use their web-based interface - I think they see it earlier,
or can keep track of it better.

perhaps you might give them another chance.

PS. I get no money or favors for this endorsement. However I think
that companies that really try hard to make a good product should be
rewarded, so they'll be around when I need them!.

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o