Game Developers -- Call

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Jul 14 23:11:55 EDT 2006

Aloha, Rick:

Really, I thank you for your candor! I don't consider it "harsh" but
just "good strong medicine." (smile) I have no problem being told I'm
completely naive on many matters. We don't do "flames"  on the Rev forum
(well occasionally) and honesty is  good. In Sanskrit it is referred to
as a quality of character "Arjava" ... straightforwardness, honesty.

Like I said, we don't know anything about this field and if we need to
hear some "straight talk" to get educated: fire at will! We are "big
boys" and have no problem with constructive criticism. I take everything
you said as "all good news." If you have ever submitted an article to an
editor and have it come back  covered in red ink from top to bottom you
learn to just say "Thanks, ok, we'll work on it."

As for "Your expectations are a joke for the poor level of pay you are
promising."  Well, dreams have to start somewhere...sometimes it just
takes the courage to step out over the water and have faith that the
bridge will appear,  if it doesn't you just get wet, no big deal. Half
the time there will be something to step on.

I can certainly "dial back" on the criteria if that's what it takes. let
me try to take your medicine and shake it up in my head and see what
comes out:

How about this for a revision:

OK

1) has some experience creating games for young people.
2) Willing to share some games with us for review:

RICK: "You don't get to see code unless you are willing to sign an NDA
(Non-disclosure Agreement). " Yes of course, understood. I don't need to
see the code... just play them.

RICK: Someone who has the vast experience you are looking for is not
going to be interested in working for "non-profit rates".  "Your
expectations are a joke for the poor level of pay you are promising."

OK good point, well taken... I guess then I just need to find the people
with the "heart" and interest for it and find a level of compensation
commensurate with level of input that still produces a product that works.

4) has a natural interest in (affinity for)  and some familiarity with
eastern religious-philosophical content (game dialog, words used,
characters etc will all relate to things like karma, reincarnation etc.)

We can dial the above back to simply  -- has an open mind  about
philosophy and religion.

RICK: You really don't know what you are doing yet.  You need to rethink
everything including your approach to professional game programmers.

OK! Yes I agree... so, your strong advice is a good place get started...

> RICK: Sorry I had to be the one to tell you, but someone needs to
> shake you into
> the harsh reality of game programming.  Sorry, I couldn't sound nicer
> about this.  I'm sure I'll get flamed for just trying to be honest.

No problem as I said, we appreciate the candor.