Dependence on Programming Experts

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Jul 13 14:50:40 EDT 2006

Hi Aex,

>I don't see what would break existing syntax.

The example I gave, which demonstrates techniques in many of my
existing stacks.

>The proposal I remember is to allow
>   <container> = <expression>
>anywhere a statement is allowed  - i.e. as a statement on a
>(logical) line, or following an IF <expr> THEN ...
>
>Your example was
>   set the disabled of button "Previous Record" to (recordNumber = 1)
>i.e.
>   SET <container> TO <expression>

No: SET <property> TO <expression>

>which wouldn't look much like the new (optional) syntax to any
>parser I can think of.

It isn't new: it's from SDB logic that's been working for me since RR v2

>The fact that "recordnumber = 1" *could* be an expression, or
>*could* be a statement shouldn't be a problem - the context will
>*always* tell you which it is; currently Transcript doesn't allow
>expressions to be written where a statement is required,

Trans.... er, Revolution evaluates "(recordNumber = 1) as a bolean
expression evaluated as true or false.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company