determining a plain text file

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Mon Jul 10 19:23:02 EDT 2006

On 10 Jul 2006, at 17:35, Bill Marriott wrote:

> Oh, that's *very* interesting, especially the hang/lockup part! I'm
> going to
> have to play with this a little bit.
>
> Hard to beat 7 milliseconds vs. 6.5 seconds!

Not to disparage regexes, but everytime I see one of these neat one-
line regex solutions on the list, and it's something that I might
make use of, I seem to find that when used either many times in a
loop, or just on a lot of data, it turns out be at least quite a lot
slower than some function that uses Revs chunk expressions/repeat for
loops.

I have no idea how efficient the PCRE library is, or how efficiently
Rev uses that library, but it usually seems to be enough of a
noticeable difference that I stick with the pure Revolution solution.

> Just goes to show that shorter code is often not faster code.

I think this is particularly true of high-level scripting languages
like Revolution. I couldn't even guess what actual sequence of
machine instructions is executed when I run a script. Fortunately, I
very rarely would need to know, since it'll generally be quite fast
enough for most purposes.

Best,

Mark