[OT] Market Share

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Jul 10 12:59:32 EDT 2006

Jim,

>I would wait until
>it [TPC technology] became available on the Mac, if it ever did

And I have serious doubts that it ever will.  :-(

* Other than the graphic tablet for touch-screen input, TPC
technology is all in the O/S.

*  The general consensus on this thread seems to be that Steve Jobs
is shifting Apple's primary focus toward music players, and that his
approach to the computer market emphasizes marketing gimics over new
technology.

* TPC technology has been on the market for something like four to
six years, including a major software update in 2005.  If and when
Apple competes in this market, they will be way behind.

Thus the frustration I feel in being unable to convey the advantages
of TPC technology--as I see them--to Mac lovers is somewhat akin to
that I felt trying to explain the advantages of a mouse to MS-DOS
users--many of whom considered the Mac a toy--20 some years ago.

[Two hints:

1. Start with the mouse cursor in one corner of your screen and see
how much faster you can move your hand to the diagonal corner with
the mouse in the air instead of dragging across a surface.  Imagine
being able to pick up the mouse and set it down where you want the
cursor instead of dragging it.

2. Pick up a pen or pencil,place your hand in the center of your
screen, and see how much of the screen real estate you can reach with
the tip of the pen(cil) without moving your hand.]

The pen is mightier than the mouse!

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company