[OT] Market Share

Jim Carwardine JimCarwardine at OwnYourFuture-net.com
Sun Jul 9 18:26:44 EDT 2006

Rob, I think that your response to new computer buyers is the best advice
anyone could ever give.

I bought a Mac in 1985 and it was my first computer.  I bought it for 2
reasons, first, after 17 years in the computer industry, it was the first
personal computer I could rationalize because I couldn't see going home at
night and doing stuff I had been doing all day, working with command line
computers.  Second, for a couple of years I had been designing a way of
designing boats on a computer and was not satisfied with either the S100 bus
computers, the Apple II or the IBM PC.  Shortly after the Mac came out,
Andrew Mason came out with MacSurf - a programme that manipulated a surface
in 3D space on a Mac Plus.  I bought the Mac.

I have never owned a PC until 2 years ago when I needed to use some group
conferencing software to communicate with a group of geographically
dispersed clients.  I used VirtualPC up until MS purchased the company and
made it impossible to run on a Mac.  Then I used Timbuktu to use the PC from
my Mac.

Additionally, I have had to deal with the fact that most of my clients use a
PC.  My concession there was to adopt MS Office as my business software of
choice, bugs and all.  Rev is an extension of this circumstance where I need
to design software for my PC audience while still using my Mac for my own
and a few clients' work.

I can see where you would like the work arrangement you have and would go
with the platform that delivered it.  In my orientation, I would wait until
it became available on the Mac, if it ever did.  Looks like ink input is
available for OS 10.  I definitely prefer Palm script to the tiny keyboard
of the Blackberry.

Anyway... I'm definitely in the Mac niche with a nod the PC niche... Jim