[OT] Market Share

Viktoras Didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Sun Jul 9 17:42:45 EDT 2006

although I am "not a Mac person" yet, and buying Mac for software tests
(Windows/Linux/Mac) is in my future plans only, I think the first successful
step that increased market share of Apple was giving up Mac Classic and
building the new OSX on nix ! This action increased availability of software
tools originally created for other nix'es (Unix, Linux) that started to be
easily portable to Mac, because now Mac belongs to the same family too. The
second successful step is giving up hardware limitations with Mac Intel.
This should have a major effect in a few years. The third successful step
would be reduction of price so I could afford buying the Mac by the end of
this year :-).

I think Multiplatform development tools emerging on Mac side are the strong
side of the Mac, not the weak. Developers will always want to have several
choices, and if they now see that something they created on Mac will work on
Linux or Windows, they feel happy, safe and enjoy the world of Apple. On the
other hand the same truth applies to Windows. So nor Mac neither Windows are
going to die, unless they start implementing policies restricting
multiplatform development in any way and thus isolating themselves...

By the way, Windows XP is really stable thing now. It never crashed on my
PCs since I have installed it (legaly) for the first time several years ago.
Still the major concern about Windows is security - antivirus, firewall and
malware removal tools (like spybot) should be always on. Mac OSX is much
safer just because it inherits all the secure environment from nix...

All the best!
Viktoras